120-hour intensive teacher training courses
leading to an internationally recognised certificate
120-hour four-weeks intensive teacher training courses leading to an internationally recognised TEFL certificate
When choosing a TEFL course it is important to make sure that the course you are considering is accredited and moderated by an external body to ensure that you will receive the highest standard of training and facilities.
Our 120-hour intensive 4-week TEFL courses at BCN Languages in partnership with TEFL International are accredited by Fort Hays State University in the USA. These courses are moderated each month according to the requirements of TEFL International.
This course leads to a TEFL International certificate validated by Fort Hays University
Four week duration
We provide you with a 4-week intensive course, exceeding international standards, with 120 hours of classroom time, including 100 contact hours, and 20 hours devoted to teaching practice (the most important part of any TESOL/TEFL certificate course).
The daily schedule is divided up into theoretical input classes and workshops in the mornings, and practical sessions in the afternoons, including lesson planning and production of teaching material, observation of experienced teachers and of teaching practice, peer observation and feedback sessions.
We consider this to be the central component of the TEFL course around which all other elements revolve. The other aspects of the course are designed to enable and support the learning process which is generated by the teaching practice sessions. The 20 hours of the teaching practice component encompass: observation of experienced teachers, peer teaching, teaching Spanish and Catalan students, peer observation and trainer-led feedback sessions.
All trainees will be asked to teach between 6 and 7 practice lessons. Class size varies from single students, (one-to-one classes), through small groups of three or four, to groups of six to fifteen learners. The practice lessons are taught on-site.
All assignments and observed teaching practice are assessed, as is participation in the theoretical sessions and workshops, and overall professional development on the course. The assessment of teaching practice is continuous, meaning that, above all, the final grade will reflect your progress in teaching. This grade is also based on your ability to reflect on your own teaching and that of others.
Those having difficulty with any particular task will be given tutorial help and an opportunity to resubmit work. Feedback will be given after each observed practice lesson. Trainees will be expected to have achieved a satisfactory standard in all areas, including teaching, by the end of the course.
Main features of our intensive teacher training courses
We offer our students professional careers guidance both during the course and afterwards. See our special section for more details: TEFL job guidance
Foreign language lessons
In order for you to gain an inside view of the language learning process and to be able to empathise with your future students, in week 1 you will be given three lessons in an unknown foreign language.
These lessons will be taught entirely in the foreign language using the same communicative methodology you will use to teach English, giving you first-hand insights into various teaching strategies and techniques, which you will be asked to reflect on, both from a student’s and teacher’s perspective.
Through a series of input sessions and workshops throughout the course, you will be introduced to all the basic grammar you will need to be an effective EFL teacher. These sessions will also provide you with useful teaching ideas to help teach grammar in a communicative manner.
- The English sound system compared with the sound systems of Spanish and other European languages.
- The use of I.P.A. (International Phonemic Alphabet) in EFL teaching.
- Consonants, vowels and diphthongs in British and American English.
- Word stress patterns
- Sentence stress, rhythm and intonation.
- Features of connected speech.
- This takes place in the afternoons after lunch, between 14:00 and 16:00. This is a time for you to prepare your lessons by adapting activities from existing course books or by creating your own materials. However, it is advisable to come to these sessions with lessons already partially prepared.
- During the first hour, one of the trainers will be available for consultations to offer guidance and suggestions on the appropriateness of lesson plans, the sequence of activities, etc.
- The second hour is for you to finalise the preparations of your materials and lessons.
TEFL methodology and teaching skills
- Lesson demos and workshops:
- You will be given demonstrations of various skill lesson types. We will look at the most suitable lesson structures for focusing on specific skills, (speaking, listening, reading or writing) and sub-skills (grammar, pronunciation, and vocabulary).
- We will also look at planning lessons based on different models such as PPP ( Presentation, Practice, Production), ARC ( Authentic use, Restricted use, Clarification) and TBL (Task-Based Learning )
- Learning styles
- Teaching skills:
- Presentation techniques: demo and peer teaching workshop.
- Teacher language: The art of giving clear, concise instructions.
- Class management
- Error correction
- Exploiting course books
- Using dictation in EFL teaching
- Teaching private students ( teaching one-to-one )
- Tests and examinations EFL
- Teaching young learners
- T.P.R. methodology
- Using songs and games in EFL teaching
- Using drama in EFL teaching
- E.S.P. and Business English
- Cultural awareness
- Foreign language learning journal
A reflective journal based on the 3 hours of tuition in a foreign language. After each lesson, you will be encouraged to write up your observations and reflections on the learning experience, both from a student’s and a teacher’s perspective.
- Student profile project
During the course, you will also complete a written assignment preparing a lesson for a student in a one-to-one setting. This is done over two meetings with a foreign language student.
- The first meeting is done to assess the learner’s needs and linguistic ability.
- During the second meeting, you will teach a lesson you have prepared based on the assessment.
- Language analysis test
Towards the end of the course, you will be tested on aspects of grammar and phonology.
This test will be based on the grammar input sessions and the grammar and phonology worksheets done in class.
Teaching practice and critique
You will teach a minimum of 8 lessons, 6 of which will be taught at the school and observed by a trainer. In the post teaching critique sessions, you will be encouraged to develop the ability to assess both your own lessons and those of your peers. We will ensure you teach at least two different levels of EFL learners, e.g. elementary and intermediate, and a good cross-section of age groups and abilities. The assessment of your teaching practice is continuous and will tend to reflect your overall progress.
The training centre is located within the Rambla de Catalunya premises of BCN Languages, a well-known language school in the centre of Barcelona. A variety of languages are taught onsite, which means that you will be able to experience what it is like to teach in a real language school environment and be immersed in a dynamic language learning atmosphere. For more information on the school please see https://www.bcnlanguages.com/centros-barcelona/
The school is located in a beautiful, turn of the century building in the fashionable Eixample district of Barcelona and has all the modern facilities and conveniences of an up-to-date language school, including 8 comfortable classrooms, a study area with computers and Wi-Fi, and a spacious terrace where you can sit and relax, and chat with other students during breaks from classes and teaching practice.
BCN Languages overlooks Rambla de Catalunya, one of the most picturesque and emblematic streets of Barcelona, a tree-lined boulevard full of cafes, boutiques and art galleries. Many of the most important Gaudi buildings are located in this neighbourhood.
Central location: just 5 minutes walk from Plaza Catalunya
The location is unbeatable! The school is in the middle of the central Eixample district, just 5 minutes walk from Plaza Catalunya and Passeig de Gracia with its famous Gaudi buildings, and high-class shops.
A 10-minute walk takes you to the trendy Raval district with its edgy bars and restaurants, and also to the Ramblas and the Barrio Gótico, the tourist epicentre of Barcelona.
Thanks to this central location, public transport links are fantastic, and you can easily get to most areas of the city within a few minutes.
School address: Rambla de Catalunya,22, principal 1ª, 08007 Barcelona
Metro: Plaça Catalunya (L3, L1) Passeig de Gràcia (L2, L3, L4), Universitat (L1, L2)
FGC trains: Plaça Catalunya (L6, L7, S1,S2, S5, S55)
Course and work testimonials
Carmen Cidoncha, Head of Studies - BCN Languages
“As a Head of Studies at BCN Languages, I would like to state that TEFL Barcelona graduates show a great level of skill and professionalism.
In fact, TEFL Barcelona provides our School with a reliable source of new and qualified teachers: not only for their ability to be versatile in preparation but for their well-planned and intentional methods of teaching.”
Jodie Sclare - GetEnglish
I have found their trainees to be reliable, enthusiastic and well prepared for the teaching positions I have to offer.“
Deborah G. Watson Flindall - Complementos SL
In general, your graduates do compare well with those of other courses, and for us, this is a guarantee of professional training. You’re doing a fine job!“
Do you have any questions about our Intensive teacher training courses? Drop us a line through the form below!
Teaching English can probably best be described as a cutting-corner profession. Teachers have learned a host of strategies to get kids off their backs and live a stress, angst-free existence. Some of these include using downloaded worksheets in class, or hiring VAs to...
- by Chrissy Grainger Attaining a TEFL Certificate in Barcelona, sought after by language schools around the world, will give you the skills and confidence you need to start on your journey as an EFL teacher. With this accredited course that will open doors in places...