Teach English Legally in Barcelona, Spain with Our Student Visa Services
and TEFL Courses – for Americans and Other Non-EU Citizens

Study to become a certified English teacher with TEFL Barcelona and benefit from our Student Visa services at no extra cost.


student visas along with a TESOL a teacher training qualification are an excellent way for American and other non-UE citizens to work and study in spain

At TEFL Barcelona we’re passionate about helping Americans and other non-EU citizens to obtain Student Visas and find legal work as English teachers in beautiful Barcelona, Spain.

We offer a variety of certified TEFL/TESOL Certificate courses paired with professional support and guidance on all aspects of obtaining a Spanish Student Visa in Barcelona – courses from as low as €120 per month.

Want to explore Europe during your time in Spain?

The Spanish Student Visa also allows for unrestricted travel throughout Europe and anywhere else in the world for the duration of the 12 month period.

This enables you to truly make the most of your time in Europe and fly home as often as you wish for visits.

About Studying and Working in Spain:
Spanish Student Visas and Work Permits

Spain’s Student Visa program allows Americans and other non-EU citizens to legally live and work in Barcelona and other parts of Spain.

Once you have obtained your Spanish student work visa, you will be legally allowed to work up to 20 hours a week in Spain for a period of up to 12 months.

Spain’s Study Visa is ideal for anyone interested in working as an English teacher in Barcelona.

Contact us now to begin your application or read on for more information about how to apply for your Student Visa in Spain.

Who needs to apply for a Student Visa
to study and work in Spain?

Americans and other non-EU citizens are only allowed to stay in Spain on a tourist visa for 90 days (3 months). This is sufficient time to take our one-month TEFL course in Barcelona and get qualified to teach English.

However, if you are a non-EU citizen and would like to live and work in Spain as an English teacher, you will need to apply for the Spanish Study Visa.

How to Apply for a Student Visa and Legally Teach English
in Spain with TEFL Barcelona

Here at TEFL Barcelona, our experienced professionals will provide you with personalised guidance and training to ensure your Spanish Student Visa application run as quickly and smoothly as possible.

We are passionate about helping you settle into life and work in Spain and will be there to guide and assist you before you even arrive in Barcelona, and long after you finish your teacher training.

Before you arrive in Barcelona, we will

  • Guide you through the process of gathering the required paperwork

  • Help you choose the perfect TEFL course and student visa services

  • Offer advice on securing health insurance

  • Be here to answer any questions you may have about your application and move to Spain

When you arrive in Barcelona, we will be here to help you:

  • Make an appointment for you to obtain your all-important NIE and Empadronamiento

  • Help you choose the perfect TEFL course and student visa services

  • Guide you through the entire process of applying for your Spanish Student Visa

  • Contact us now to enrol and let us help you get your Student Visa application underway.

Spain Student Visa Requirements

To be eligible to apply for a Student Visa in Spain you must be enrolled in an educational course (in Spain) that lasts for a minimum of 7 months.

There are two ways to do this, but the easiest and cheapest way to obtain a Student Visa in Spain is to enrol on our 1-month intensive TEFL course to become a certified English teacher, followed by our 6-month Teacher Development course – which includes a range of industry-focused sessions.

An alternative to enrolling in the Teacher Development course is to enrol in one of our flexible Spanish language courses, which we proudly offer in partnership with Languages4Life in Barcelona.

You can take our Spanish lessons for up to 12 months and your Spanish Student Visa will be valid for as long as you are enrolled.


  • €1,800 for 6 months
  • €2,700 for 9 months
  • €3,420 for 12 months
  • Our Teacher Development and Spanish language courses can be extended up to a maximum of 12 months at a time. However, you can enrol in another course of up to 12 months after that if you wish.
  • Your Student Visa and work permit will only be valid for the time you are enrolled in our Teacher Development and/or Spanish language course (for up to 12 months).
  • The Spanish Student Visa allows you to acquire an NIE (Numero de Identidad de Extranjero – Foreigner ID number), but you will need to apply for this within your first month in Spain in order to be recognised as a foreign resident. We will assist you with this.
  • Once you have an NIE you will be eligible to apply for jobs and work up to 20 hours per week. Many full-time teaching contracts offer circa 20 hours of teaching/contact hours per week, making this an ideal solution for those who want to teach English in Barcelona or any other part of Spain.

About TEFL Barcelona’s Teacher Development Course

  • Our enrolment times are flexible and you can begin any time after completing your TEFL course.

  • Our Teacher Development course is available for a minimum of 6 months and a maximum of 12 months.

  • Fees start at €120 per month, although we offer a discounted rate of €1,200 if you enrol in a 12-month course in advance.

  • Our Teacher Development course satisfies the requirements of the Spanish Student Visa and allows you to work legally in Spain for up to 12 months.

To be eligible for a Student Visa in Spain, the Government requires the following documents:

  • A passport that’s valid for a period of at least 6 months after your planned time in Spain
  • Spanish student visa application form (we will provide you with this)
  • 2 x up-to-date passport photos
  • An official invitation from Spain (we will provide you with this after accepting you onto the course)
  • A criminal background check
  • A medical certificate and proof of medical insurance
  • Proof of sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay
  • Proof of address in your home country

Note: We will provide you with further information and guidance on this during the application process.

  • Do I need a Spanish Student Visa to study a TEFL/TESOL Certificate and qualify as an English teacher?
  • No, our intensive TEFL/TESOL Certificate courses take one month and a Student Visa is not required for stays of 90 days or less.
  • How long does it typically take to process a Student Visa in Spain?
  • You can expect the application process to take around 2 months.
  • Will I be able to extend my Student Visa from within Spain?
  • Yes, if you have a long-term visa (7 months or more) then you will be allowed to extend it from within Spain by signing up to additional courses, such as our Teacher Development course and Spanish language courses.
  • Can I combine a number of courses and still be eligible for a Student Visa?
  • Yes, for example, you would be allowed to study the Teacher Development course for 4 months and take our Spanish lessons for 8 months.
  • How many hours can I legally work per week with a Spanish Student Visa?
  • A Spanish Student Visa will allow you to work for a maximum of 20 hours per week in Spain.
  • Can I apply for a visa once I am already in Spain?
  • No, the Spanish Student Visa must be applied for and processed from your home country.
  • If I have a valid Student Visa from another school, am I able to renew it with TEFL Barcelona?
  • Yes, this is no problem. We can guide you through the process.
  • How easy is it to find English teaching jobs in Barcelona?
  • There are many schools in Barcelona that are always looking to hire trained professionals. At TEFL Barcelona, we provide on-going professional guidance and training to help our graduates find the best job they can.
  • How easy is it to find private classes in Barcelona?
  • There is a high demand for private English teachers in Barcelona. We will guide you through the entire process of finding and teaching private English classes in Barcelona and anywhere else in Spain.
  • Can my partner and family members come with me?
  • Yes, your legal spouse, registered partner, dependent children (under 18) can come with you if you have a Spanish Study Visa. They will have to apply for their Foreigner’s Identity Card (TIE) within a month after arriving in Spain. They will not be allowed to work or apply for a work permit and you will need to be able to demonstrate that you have enough money to support them.

Get in touch

Do you have any questions about our Student Visa courses and services? Drop us a line through the form below!
Our TEFL adviser will get back to you within 1-2 working days

I have read and accept the privacy policy (Required)

I agree to receive sales information or newsletters:YesNo

In accordance with our privacy policy your personal data will only be processed by TEFL Barcelona. Your data will be used exclusively to meet your requests, always in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of 27 April, 2016 (GDPR), Organic Law 3/2018 of 5 December (LOPDGDD) and other legal regulations in force regarding personal data protection and data protection in general. Your data will not be shared with third parties outside our organization and the schools we partner with, except by legal obligation, and will be kept on our files as long as you do not request it to be removed.

At any time you can exercise your rights of access, rectification, portability and opposition, or if appropriate, the limitation and/or removal of your data, communicating it in writing, indicating your personal data, to TEFL Barcelona, C/ Narcís Monturiol, 1, esc. C, 1º, 1ª, 08340 Vilassar de Mar, Barcelona (Spain) or by email to